Hobbies other than photography

A lot of people ask me what I do when I'm not going out and shooting. I not only do photography, but I also donate my time helping the homeless and the elderly. When I'm not doing those I end up a great deal of time giving impromptu animal training lessons. They happen everywhere all the time. I'm also an animal rehabilitator. Not so much right now, but I do rescue animals I find in trouble out in the wild or move dead animals out of the road. I also am an avid bird watcher and have a profile on ebird.org

I have been doing that for the past couple of years. I always carry a notebook with me and I write down all the birds I have seen and I try to get as many photos as I can.

Bird watching has become a very great release for me. A way to wind down or if I'm not feeling well I will pack up a lunch, grab my chair and I will count birds all day. Or I will travel around in a certain area and do the same thing. 


I do have a couple of places that I love to go and just sit and relax.. Comerford Dam in Lower Waterford, Vermont is my number 1 place to go. If I could get away with living in the wood there I would do it in a heart beat.  I could make this great little shed and be happy. You probably wouldn't even know I was there. OR make a tree house. That would be cool. HA! Now I'm getting off subject. The second place I really like to sit and relax is Dolloff Pond in the Willoughby State Forest in Sutton. That is on a dirt road that is turning into a logging road. But it is so quite and peaceful. Then all of Willoughby State Forest and if I'm traveling I have to check out Duck Pond Road in Waterford. There are so many different type of birds. I don't hang out there very long because there is really no place for Caera and I to hang out.


I almost forgot about this place, but Job's Pond in Newark is another spot I like to see and watch the Loons. That is where I got the two photos above. I used to take my dad there to go fishing. 

Some other things I like to do is study nature. I usually pick a subject in nature and study it. I mostly study animals, but one year is was the effects storms had on trees another was watching and studying how mushrooms grow. I also Love horses. I will sit and watch horses all day long if I have the chance. I used to ride and own horse all through my life, but now my knees say No More so I have gotten to only photograph and observe. 
I love old cars and trucks and I collect books from the 1800's. My oldest book is from 1835.
Dolloff Pond, Willoughby State Forest

Lake Willoughby, Westmore, Vermont

Duck Pond Road, Waterford, Vermont

Everything I have done in my past time now is synced with my photography. Photography makes me happy. It calms me when I anxious and it keeps my mind busy. Also I'm helping the environment by counting birds and educating folks. 
Being able to show people how nature looks and feels has been a big bonus. What makes it extra special is when your fans tell you that your work makes them happy or gives them inspiration.

Sierra










 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel on Earth

Updates!